10.8 - Considerations in the Establishment of Screening Recommendations and Programs
To summarize, all of the following will be considered when making decisions about screening programs or guidelines. Are these factors considered in the ongoing discussions about mammography guidelines?.
- Acceptability/desirability by patient and community
- Historical precedent for screening
- Sufficient burden of disease
- Different populations have a distinct and different distribution of disease
- Natural history of disease supports early detection
- Availability of ‘adequate’ screening tests
- Availability of and compliance with ‘effective’ treatment and follow up
- Acceptability by provider and health care system
- Will of the political and health care system
- Availability of resources - funds, services, transportation,…
- Cost-effectiveness of screening
You have completed reading Lesson 10. You are now ready to participate in the activities indicated for Week 10.